Foods to eat to prevent sunburn
Although it is best to practice sun protection by avoiding the high peaks of the day, wearing UVA/UVB sunscreen, staying in the shade and wearing light coloured long clothing, we all have those days where we are out gardening too long or enjoying the beach. So why don’t you start preventing your sunburn early by including certain foods in your day that may help prevent those painful sunburn days. This same list of foods may also help soothe a sunburn if you end up with one this summer.
- Tomatoes – they are rich in lycopene, a UV protecting compound – 5 tablespoons of a tomato paste eaten daily, may help to prevent a sunburn
- Potatoes – slice a raw potato and apply to the burned area – the starchy compound will help to relieve the painful sting
- Sweet Potatoes – contains beta-carotene, a type of vitamin A which can help prevent or minimize sunburn damage
- Tea – drinking one to two cups daily of green tea (which contains EGCG) or black tea (which contains quecetin) can help prevent that red skin. Drink the tea hot, which has been proven to be more effective than iced. If you do have a burn soak in a cool bath with green tea bags, or place chilled green tea bags on the burned areas
- Pomegranate – the antioxidants can help to protect your skin from UVA and UVB induced cell damage. The anti-inflammatory properties can help soother already burned skin
- Almonds – packed with Vitamin E, which is often added to skin creams can defend against sun damage. Approximately 20 almonds a day can help assist you in avoiding those painful days
- Dark Chocolate – full of flavonols may help to bolster resistance to sunburns and these powerful antioxidants can help to increase skin density
- Calendula and Aloe leaf – both of these plants can be used on sunburns to help alleviate the stinging pain of a sunburn
Ensure you are also using sun protection products that protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Ensure your sunglasses, skin care and sunscreen all have the compounds to protect against both. Visit us today to learn more or experience any of our sun protection or after sun products.